Friday, June 26, 2009

I wanna rock with you

I mourn for Michael Jackson today. But I mourn for my '80s Michael, my Thriller Michael--not for what he became but for what he was. You cannot deny his influence. His music brings me back to my teenage years and will always have a special place in my heart. Another American tragedy.


I am way, way too upset to exercise today. How could I possibly run the treadmill when Michael is dead? I had planned to start again today after my mourning period for David Carradine. And before that there was some jazz musician who died--or was it a singer? or maybe cinematographer? Can't remember. Damn, if these people don't stop dying, I will never be fit.


Speaking of tragic deaths, our big TV died on Monday. We had a 36 inch TV bought in 1998. I will never forget when we bought that TV. Alan and I were so freaking excited. The night before it was to be delivered I came down with a horrible stomach bug and threw up all night. In the wee hours of the morning Alan had to take me to the ER. Minutes turned to hours and we started getting nervous that we would miss our TV delivery--between 10 and 12 that morning. As I lay on the stretcher, pale and lethargic, IV in my arm, I lifted my head, took Alan's hand and said, "Honey, you have to leave me. You have to go get our big TV." Alan said, "Are you sure?" I replied, "Yes, we cannot miss our delivery time. You have to go. Go get our big TV." Alan did reluctantly leave me in the ER and got home just in time. My mom arrived soon after to pick me up and take me home. I spent the rest of the day recovering on the couch in front of that big TV.


But now we have a new big TV. A flat screen!! Wooo, welcome to the 21 century. Now I can watch 46 inches of Michael Jackson coverage all day long.


The 'We are the World' video is on. Haven't seen this in years. Michael has his sparkly socks and white glove on. Wow, that's when Kenny Rogers still looked real, not like a muppet. Bruce Springsteen is so constipated. Oh there's Bob Dylan. Is he still alive? What the hell is Dan Akroyd doing in there? Oh, sing it Ray!! I love Kenny Loggins 80s hair. Let me ask you, is it true that we make a better day, just you and me?

Seeing 'We are the World' really makes me want to watch the Jimmy Kimmel "I'm F*cking Ben Affleck" video again. And then I will watch Weird Al's "Fat" in tribute to Michael.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My TV from 1995 won't die. The on off button doesn't work anymore. But it's still 500 Lbs and living and spewing radiation.

I mourn the black male MJ myself. The ugly white woman with bad plastic surgery was not my favorite.

Clippy Mat said...

Michael Jackson's dead?
;-)