Thursday, November 20, 2008

OMG TMJ WTF?


My saga of woe all started last week when I decided to clean the house. I vacuumed way too much and ended up with a lower back ache. I still had to continue with my normal activities--herding children, working my shifts at the hospital and house management. So my backache started a downward spiral of self-pity. Lying horizontal on the couch is not conducive to blogging or even reading my favorite blogs. So I am sorry I have neglected you. But come on, we were on a break!!


Anyway, the weekend passed and I thought "Ok, a new week, a new beginning" but that was a bunch of optimistic crap. I ended up at the doctor on Tuesday being diagnosed with TMJ or Temporomandibular joint disorder. He thinks I am grinding my teeth in my sleep and causing severe pain in the left side of my jaw. He said it's caused by stress and then he shook his head knowingly when he found out I had two sons. So the treatment is an anti-inflammatory (isn't that the treatment for everything?) heat, soft foods and stress reduction. I almost asked him for a doctor's note to give to Alan. Sorry honey, can't put any very large items in my mouth, doctor's orders.
Yesterday while the kids were in school I spent the morning doing a jigsaw puzzle while listening to ABBA on my iPod. It was strangely soothing. Yes, I am aware that is how many mental patients spend their time. So what's your point? It helped. I am not totally back to normal but I am ready to catch up with everyone. So be patient with me, I am Temporomandibularly Challenged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Alan can't put "large objects" anywhere else if that's the case. Or he will have to find a substitute.

My wife grinds her teeth at night. Got so bad she had to have 3 plates or something like that. She's almost chewed through her mouth piece as well. I suggest a cheap 50 cent football mouthpiece to start with. Then work up to "large objects".

Knot

Clippy Mat said...

poor excuse for not blogging if you ask me.
you managed that really difficult jigsaw by the looks of it. i think you're faking it.
:-)

Unknown said...

Many people (myself included) do not know that that's what TMJ stands for. So, you should probably start using your new diagnosis as an excuse to not do anything you don't want to do.
"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't (clean the bathroom, lift heavy objects, contribute cookies to your charity bakesale, babysit your kids, come to work on time) because my Temporomandibular joint disorder is acting up."

Say it quickly, and then do your best to look gravely ill. Best case scenario, people will think it's something contagious and avoid asking you for favors in the future.

J. Hi said...

Knot--Yes, isn't that hard to sleep with something in your mouth?

Clippy--I succumb to self pity way too much. Waaah!

Tova--I think I need a special parking space. ;)