Friday, January 25, 2008

Breakfast Club Brats

I used to love the movie "The Breakfast Club." I loved the plot, the song and the characters. I could really relate to all the pressures of teenage life. So, I was delighted when I came across it on cable one day and looked forward to enjoying a little slice of my younger life. But, oh how the worm has turned. As I watched I was having these thoughts: "You whiny, little brats! Your parents just want the best for you and all you do is complain about them and blame them. Ungrateful wretches!"

This was the moment I realized I have changed in a profound way. I have joined the other team. I have been assimilated. I am now... AN ADULT. It was a gradual change because I did not realize it was happening. But here I am watching 'The Breakfast Club' and having a moment of self-actualization and self-loathing at the same time. I know I am way more uptight than I used to be. I am way more stressed and bitchy than I used to be. I have lost the shiny glow of optimism. I feel the weight of responsibility and sometimes I feel like it is crushing me.

Bender says, "But face it, you're a neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie. What would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?"

Is he talking to me? Is he right? Am I just an empty shell going through the motions of an adult existence? I take a moment to think about this one. And here it comes--a moment of self-clarity. I spent my entire teenage life dreaming of my future and wanting my life to begin. However, since becoming an adult, I have not once wished I could go back to my teenage life. That future I deamed of is here and though it may be hard at times, I know that it is everything that I ever wanted.

So 'The Breakfast Club' is dead to me.

Bender, you can Eat. My. Shorts.

No comments: